[PD] Strange real time behavior with pd-extended + Jack + Libraries

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Apr 3 01:04:52 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 19:45 +0200, Martin Schied wrote:

> Nevertheless it's very weird and I don't understand why the order of
> to have a place to put information like this  - i wonder why there are
> no other people running into these crashes.

iirc, i did run into crashes in similar situations, though i cannot
recall the exact details.

finally, i decided, that i never want any graphics to run in realtime,
risking a more likely freeze of the machine without any real gain,
whereas i almost always want audio to be realtime and also would like to
avoid graphics to interfere with audio whenever possible.

since then i haven't used '-lib [Gem|pdp|gridflow]' and '-rt' in the
same instance of pd and could get rid of such nasty issues. in projects,
that use both, audio and video, i usually put all tilde and timing
objects into the audio (-rt, maybe -nogui) pd instance and the gui
stuff, video calculation and displaying into the video (-nrt) pd
instance. both talk over a network socket with each other.

roman