[PD] [PD-announce] Pd FLOSS Manuals Book Sprint WIKI

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Sat Apr 4 11:42:38 CEST 2009

Hello João,

João Pais wrote:
> I had some questions about the next days:
>
> - the berlin one starts at "noon". what is noon exactly here, or, how
> does it translates into a definite hour?

Noon normally means 12:00.

> - how late is "late" as well? (for some people, 4am isn't late)

Until it's done or we're done ;-)

> - I don't have time now to be thinking of a new super concept to make
> people understand digital audio in 5 minutes. so I would be glad to
> revise material that other people don't want to touch.

We'll find something for you to do, don't worry!

> - when are the pauses to have a beer at treptower park if it's still as
> sunny as today?

A very Portuguese idea?

> I had some questions about the "philosophical" point of this. I was just
> having a look at the manuals:
>
> - the manuals are a bit loose, it's a bit of nice ideas put together
> (which is normal for the beginning). maybe they could be organized
> around themes later?

Chapters are "remixable" around any theme you want to give them.

> - they're also made almost as if they would be the only resources
> online. how about putting at least a reference to the pd original
> tutorials?

They should be self-sufficient, if that's what you mean. Links are
welcome of course.

> - what's the main goal of this manual? just include as much stuff as
> possible, or is there an "editorial line", or a finished form to aim at?

Main goal is an introduction to Pd which does not presume the level of
knowledge about math, computer science or DSP which the existing
documentation presume. In other words, Pd for normal people or artists
rather than super hackers.

> - in general, I guess the dataflow (or control) tutorials could be more
> developed - comparing with the audio ones, they're behind. shouldn't
> they also come first, sequentially?

As far as order, let's get everything working well first and then we can
decide about order. Many people want to know how to make sound first,
I've found from many workshops...

> - there was some comments before about incorporating pd-ext into the
> manuals. that means that pd-ext is then the "official" version?

Basis of Pd FLOSS Manual is Pd Extended, it is clearly stated.

See you soon!
D.
--
::: derek holzer ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista :::