[PD] pdpedia

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 23:41:14 CEST 2009

Yeah, I started with your stuff when I began doing this, and also
found something from another source, but there was no author in the
file, and that was a few months ago, so I don't remember who it was.

I have added a few other tables, as it would be nice to be able to
store multiple authors for anything, plus I wanted to break out a
couple other things as well.

This is a kind of side note, but one thing that would be really cool
would be to modify the [pddplink] object, so that you can send pd
messages to your patch, and this could be made to make calls into the
database, as the links are selected, and because the interface is
going to be dynamic, there are going to be a lot of files to open.

One of the things that I have noticed about some of the pddp stuff is
that it takes forever for a patch to find what it is looking for,
along all the pd search paths it goes through, and having to wait 30
seconds for it to find what it is looking for is just not conducive to
using it. The information should come back as fast as possible. That
is one reason I am using a local database file on disk (or in memory),
rather than using a database network connection (that is in the works
right now). It would be nice that we could add an SQL file that anyone
can download, and load up. I hate having to be forced to always have a
connection to use something.

I should make a request for a change to the PDDP people, and have them
update the patch. I think it would be a really nice addition to allow
one of those links to send 'pd' messages. For now, I am using
buttons...

Mike

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 10:02 PM, dmotd <dmotd at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Friday 03 April 2009 01:24:04 Philip Potter wrote:
>> I think in the interests of starting somewhere, and with the basics,
>> I'm going to go through the pd help files in order and make sure
>> everything there is covered by pdpedia. We can do more advanced stuff
>> when pdpedia is a bit more developed, but for the moment, there isn't
>> even an article on "message", so I'll go and write that.
>

> if it is useful, i have plain text versions of each of the internal objects
> (5.reference) from my database. i don't personally have time to upload to
> wiki, but you can use the document found here:
>
> http://puredata.info/Members/dmotd/pd.vanilla.textref/view
>
> note, this plain text reference may be missing details on creation arguments +
> inlets/outlets.. these can be found in the full sql refrence:
>
> http://puredata.info/Members/dmotd/pd.vanilla.ref.sql/view
>
> ciao,
>
> dmotd

Robert Benchley  - "A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to
turn around three times before lying down."