[PD] >, <, &&, || etc

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Apr 5 20:30:13 CEST 2009

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Martin Peach wrote:

>> The shell's [] (/usr/bin/test) also has -gt,-lt,-ge,-le,-eq,-ne, which it
>> uses for numeric comparisons, whereas it uses >,<,>=,<=,==,!= for string
>> comparisons. It also needs both by design.

> Sure, but bash is written in c and it can call its functions whatever it
> likes because they are built into the program. (It will also try to interpret
> your file name if it isn't alphanumeric)

The reason why I listed those examples is not to say that you could just
use the special punctuation instead of letters. I'm just pointing you to
what looks like a standard notation for writing those same concepts as
letters, so that you write >= as "ge" instead of "greaterthanorequal" or
"greaterequal" or "greq" or any other long and nonstandard combination.

That's all I mean. Do you understand?