[PD] >, <, &&, || etc

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 6 05:50:07 CEST 2009

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Martin Peach wrote:
>
>>> The shell's [] (/usr/bin/test) also has -gt,-lt,-ge,-le,-eq,-ne,
>>> which it uses for numeric comparisons, whereas it uses
>
>> Sure, but bash is written in c and it can call its functions whatever
>> it likes because they are built into the program. (It will also try to
>> interpret your file name if it isn't alphanumeric)
>
> The reason why I listed those examples is not to say that you could just
> use the special punctuation instead of letters. I'm just pointing you to
> what looks like a standard notation for writing those same concepts as
> letters, so that you write >= as "ge" instead of "greaterthanorequal" or
> "greaterequal" or "greq" or any other long and nonstandard combination.
>
> That's all I mean. Do you understand?

Oh I see. But that notation is only standard in shell languages and is
not going to help someone guess the name of the object or what it does,
especially if they are not used to english. You could name [or] just [o]
for example...a saving of one letter in exchange for an infinite
increase in uncertainty. It would contribute to making Pd a secret
language for initiates who bang until.

Martin