[PD] mapping: path setting hell

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Apr 8 07:54:36 CEST 2009

Hallo,

>> You cheat a bit here: "svn co whereverlibdiris; make libdir", and I  don't
>> know, if help-files in mapping work then - with just your sets they won't.
>> And you still have the requirement of putting the directories mapping and
>> purepd into a directory in the pd path like "extra", so it's still four
>> paths to  set, just like I wrote in my first mail.
>
> How about checking whether help files work before reporting the problem?

I wrote "I don't know if helpp-files work" - but I've tried it now.

> You only need to install libdir once.  Plus if you use the latest version
> of libdir, then 'extra' can be any folder in the path.  I suggest one of
> these:
>
> http://puredata.info/docs/faq/how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files-with-pd-extended

Okay, here's what I did:

$ cp -a SVN/mapping /usr/lib/pd/extra
$ cd SVN/loaders
$ svn update
$ make (to make libdir.pd_linux)
$ pd -lib libdir -lib mapping

gives this:
libdir loader $Revision: 1.8 $
        compiled on Apr  8 2009 at 07:46:59
        compiled against Pd version 0.42.4.
mapping: can't load library

and I still cannot create any mapping object. I was able to fix that by adding
a mapping-meta.pd file manually (copied from some pd-extended source on my
disk, could find one in SVN's trunk). Help files still don't work.

According to http://puredata.info/docs/developer/Libdir help-files have to be
either in 5.reference/libname or next to the object in question. Both is not
the case the way mapping is laid out and again something, that has to be done
manually.

That's all pretty complicated for a newbie like me. :)

Ciao
--
Frank