[PD] auto 1 loops pix_film (and pix_movie?)

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Wed Apr 8 17:49:19 CEST 2009

Sorry, no time to patch it for you now, but basically send the total
number of frames output by [pix_film] to the cold inlet of mod, send the
output of the counter to the hot inlet of [mod]. By changing the speed
of the [metro] in the counter, you change frame playback rate. You can
also put another [mod] below that to loop a smaller section, with a [+]
following it to make the frame offset.

In bad ASCII:

[metro (playback speed in ms)]

[f]x[+1]

[mod (total number of frames)]

[mod (length of loop in frames)]

[+ (starting frame of loop)]

(cold inlet of [pix_film])

Hope that makes sense! I'll leave it to you to figure out how to make it
run backwards ;-)

Best,
D.

Marco Donnarumma wrote:
> Yes, Connect the second outlet of [pix_film] to [unpack].
> Then the first outlet of [unpack] will give you the total amount of
> frames of the video you load.
> So you can connect the first outlet of [unpack] to the last inlet of
> [counter]. This will set the maximum value to reach for [counter].
> I use [counter] to play each frame of the video and i send the scratch
> values in its third inlet.
>
> this is how i do it... but as Derek were suggesting there is the [mod]
> object too.. Derek how do you use it?
> just for curiosity...
> thanks..
>
> best
>

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Jack <jack at rybn.org
> <mailto:jack at rybn.org>> wrote:
>

>     Le 8 avr. 09 à 10:34, Marco Donnarumma a écrit :
>
>>     Hey..
>>     thanks Derek, yes i've already done what you're saying for my
>>     project C::NTR::L and i have a simple process which give me
>>     dynamically the total frames for each video you load.
>     With the 2nd output of [pix_film] for exemple ? ;)
>     ++
>
>     Jack
>

>>     I was asking just to know the truth about it  :)
>>     Since i'm using this process a lot i could create a specific
>>     example about this for FLOSS manual. I have this exact process
>>     ready in my patches.
>>     ATM i'm terribly busy, but i'll keep it in mind and contribute asap.
>>     best..
>>

>>     Marco
>>

>>         Hi Marco,
>>
>>         This has been normal behavior as long as I have been aware of
>>         it. That
>>         doesn't mean that it's not a bug, however ;-)
>>
>>         If you want looping + scrubbing, a better way would be to build a
>>         counter with a [mod] object set to the total number of frames
>>         in your
>>         clip, that way you could change the payback speed of the clip
>>         and (with
>>         some adjustments to the counter) skip around in the frames as
>>         well as go
>>         backwards, etc etc. (Nice topic for a FLOSS Manuals tutorial,
>>         eh Marius?)
>>
>>         best!
>>         Derek
>>
>>         Marco Donnarumma wrote:
>>         > If i send a [auto 1( to [pix_film] i'm not able anymore to
>>         scratch the
>>         > movie sending values to its cold inlet.
>>         > Is this bug connected with the bug you talk about or a
>>         normal function
>>         > of the obj.?
>>         >
>>         > besides i noticed pix_movie doens't have this behaviour but
>>         is crashing
>>         > on most of the MAC OS i tried with. is this another known issue?
>>

>>         --
>>         ::: derek holzer ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista :::
>>         http://www.vimeo.com/macumbista :::
>>         ---Oblique Strategy # 37:
>>         "Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element"

> [...]

---Oblique Strategy # 29:
"Change nothing and continue with immaculate consistency"