[PD] embedded preferences...

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Apr 10 15:59:07 CEST 2009

The settings in patches should override any of these settings, IMHO.
I would like to see more of that kind of stuff.  For example, instead
of a single 'audio-dialog' message, it would be very handy to have
individual messages for each configuration item, like "pd sample-rate
48000", "pd use-callbacks 1", "pd verbose 1", etc.

Here's what I know about embedded prefs files:

Pd-extended:
	GNU/linux
		default.pdsettings - overridden by user prefs
	Mac OS X
		org.puredata.pd.default.plist - overridden by any other prefs
		org.puredata.pd.plist - overrides all other prefs
	Windows
		(nothing)

Pd-vanilla:
	GNU/linux
		default.pdsettings - overridden by user prefs
	Mac OS X
		org.puredata.pd.plist - overridden by user prefs
	Windows
		(nothing)

Windows should have this too, IMHO, its just a question of how to
implement it.  Maybe just a folder in the registry, like /Software/Pd
are the normal prefs and /Software/Pd/default are the default prefs.
For Windows, I think it would be worthwhile having a file that
overrides all other settings so that people can bundle Pd into a
standalone app with its own prefs.  Perhaps it could be like path/to/
pd/pdsettings.txt and just be a pdsettings file.

I suppose the same code/idea could be used for GNU/Linux, but I think
it would be cooler to have Pd generate .debs.

.hc