[PD] abstraction creation audio engine start

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Apr 20 11:52:01 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 00:23 +0900, hard off wrote:
> what about something like sending a value to the inlet of an audio
> arithmetic object?  would that update the dsptree?
>
> i'm wondering why the audio in my abstractions is working, because i
> don't think i am doing any of those things.

afaik, it's only the newest dynamically created tilde-abstraction, that
is _not_ part of the dsp-tree. if you generate 3000  abstractions
dynamically, you won't notice the one, that is missing.

i hope, someone with insight into the pd-code can confirm this: i
experienced, that turning dsp off _before_ dynamically create
abstractions, and turning dsp on again after it, is much faster. i
assume (someone please correct me), this is because as long as dsp is
off, the dsp tree isn't updated at all, even if tilde objects are
created. however, when it is running, it will get updated on the
creation of every instance, which makes it so slow. when it's off during
the creation and turned only after, the dsp-tree will be only update
once.

this is why all my dynamic patches do a [t b b b] with the following
order:
- [; pd dsp 0(
- create all the instances dynamically
- [; pd dsp 1(