[PD] readanysf~ v0.30

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Apr 30 19:48:56 CEST 2009

On Apr 30, 2009, at 1:14 PM, august wrote:

>> I don't know gavl, but it if it is close to as good as vlc/mplayer/
>> ffmpeg for reading codecs, it would be an improvement over Quicktime.
>
> it is very close to vlc/mplayer/ffmpeg.  in fact, it might even read
> more formats depending on what options you compile in.
>
>> gavl is already in macports so making a fink package should be easy,
>> then it could be part of the nightly builds.
>>
>> What about using ffmpeg for something like readanysf~?  Its much more
>> widely deployed, its even on Windows.
>
> the gavl/gmerlin_avdecoder combo uses libavcodec and libavformat from
> ffmpeg (as does mplayer) to play a lot of encoded audio/video streams.
> In addition to that, (like mplayer and I assuem VLC) it links in other
> libs to decode even more types of audio/video streams.
>
>> Another option is to check in a version of gavl and the related
>> packages to the pure-data SVN and have it build the library then
>> build
>> readanysf~.  Since gavl/gmerlin is not fully packaged on any
>> platform,
>> I think this makes sense.
>
> yes, and AFAIK the gavl package in debian is already over a year old
> and
> is not compatible with readanysf~.

I forgot to mention, the list of libs installed on the MinGW build
machine is here:

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/mingw

It is possible to add more.  Basically, you need to import the sources
into the 'pure-data/sources' tree in pure-data SVN.  That's the tree
for the MinGW setup.  You can check the import-tarball.sh script to
see the process for importing a tarball there.  When adding libs, the
build-libs-on-mingw.sh script should build and install everything
needed.

And lastly, on Windows, its best to do SVN operations in Cygwin via
ssh, then run builds using MinGW via rdesktop.

.hc

> -a.

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice,
it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith