[PD] MinGW/Windows work session - tomorrow, Tuesday 5/18

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed May 20 18:54:26 CEST 2009

So of your list there, we still have to handle glib and pkg-config.
As for binaries, there currently isn't really a way to manage them.
Right now, the setup uses binaries from the MinGW and MSYS installers,
then everything else is checked into SVN 'sources' and built from
source.  In order to make this setup reproduceable, it needs to be
simple.

I think August got pkg-config going, was that a binary?

.hc

On May 18, 2009, at 5:01 PM, Bryan Jurish wrote:

> morning all,
>
> as previously mentioned off-list, I'm likely to be a bit late in
> joining
> the misery, so I've gone and prepared a whole lot of buffered misery
> for
> y'all to play with (if time and interest permit) before I join in ;-)
> Circa 20MB of the aforementioned misery is available in concentrated
> form for a limited time only at:
>
>  http://odo.dwds.de/~moocow/moo.mingw-build.2009-05-17.tar.bz2
>
> included are sources, patches, and scripts for building the
> following on
> mingw/msys:
>
> flite : svn export, with patch & build script
> zlib : sources & build script
> expat : also
> libiconv : also also
> gettext : from the mingw site, with extra hacks (as patch)
> pkg-config : binary only, due to circular dependencies with glib
> libglib-2.x : sources & build script
>
> ... I've now successfully built all of these on my test machine (after
> killing the §"§&%$"§ webcam daemon... grr...), and included in the
> archive are build scripts a la 'build-libs-on-mingw.sh' for all of the
> libs (the only difference being an optional argument to force building
> even if the test-file is present).  There's also a './build-all-
> moo.sh'
> to build everything in the archive in (I think!) an acceptable order.
>
> feel free to commit any or all of this, with or without applied
> patches
> to the sources/ section and/or the main build-libs-on-mingw.sh script;
> otherwise I can do some or all of it when I show up (and reminisce
> about
> the bad old days of 2400 baud as I watch the IRC traffic crawl past
> during the commit ;-)
>
> enjoy (ha!)
>
> marmosets,
> 	Bryan
>
> On 2009-05-18 21:39:58, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> appears
> to have written:
>>
>> August has ported gavl and gmerlin-avdecoder to MinGW, and August
>> and I
>> have been cranking on trying to get the whole slew of libs building
>> for
>> MinGW, so now we have a good reason to put some time into the MinGW
>> setup for Pd builds.  readanysf~ uses them and with them works really
>> well. Gem is also going this route.  It would make life much easier
>> if
>> the Windows builds did too.
>>
>> We are thinking it would be a lot more productive if we all work at
>> the
>> same time on this stuff via IRC.  Then we can ping each other with
>> questions, complain, swear at Windows, etc.  You don't need to be a C
>> coder or an expert of any kind, just have an interest in getting
>> things
>> building with MinGW.  The more the merrier, join us in the sharing
>> the
> [...]

I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
how to use my telephone."  --Bjarne Stroustrup