[PD] K8061 USB interface board in PD on Mac

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 16 15:23:43 CEST 2009

Wilfred de Zoete wrote:

> Martin Peach schreef:
>> I found this googling "K8061 protocol", it seems to be source code for
>> a linux driver for the K8061:
>> http://doip.laupro.nl/browser/doip/k8061/trunk/k8061.c?rev=109
>> Maybe it could be ported to Mac?
> I saw that one too and was thinking about setting up a Linux distro in
> Virtualbox to try it. The key question for me would remain if that app
> can communicate real time with PD to use the K8061 as controller.
>> Anyhow, it's not just a serial interface like Arduino uses.
> Correct, it's a bit more advanced and has nice features that in
> potential can be very powerful... If one can program :P
>>> the dll does all the communication with the card. the pd object, or
>>> whatever program, uses commands provided by the dll.
> I have read the instructions and the codes of the K8061. Since your
> external is just a dll if I am right, I will try to explore the
> possibilities to rewrite it for the 8061.

Well Pd externals for Windows are all dlls. The dll shipped with the
8061 is closed source but at least there is a development kit with a
header file:
http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads/files/downloads/k8061_vistapack_2007v1.zip

> I have no knowledge about writing dlls but am a fast learner so I'll
> take up that challenge.

It should be not too hard to adapt an example program from the sdk to be
a Pd external.
http://pdstatic.iem.at/externals-HOWTO/
is the standard reference for Pd externals.

>>> i further think, that when using a virtual os like virtual box or
>>> wine, the communication with hardware is handled by the host os.
>>> correct me if i'm wrong.
> The OS on virtualbox can communicate directly with the installed USB bus.
>>> my humble suggestion, if asked for, was: why not use an arduino? or
>>> modify some joystick to your needs and use 'hid'?
> I started out with Joysticks and HID in conjunction with USB Overdrive
> and such but I just want more ins AND outs, analog AND digital. Arduino
> seems okay but limited as well.

There is now a bigger Arduino:
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMega

Martin