[PD] [PD-announce] Tutorial: Drum pattern editing in Pd using the rj library

Rich E reakinator at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 01:43:38 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

> Hallo,
> Rich E hat gesagt: // Rich E wrote:
>
> > Ah nice, especially for throwing that together live.  Thanks for the
> > tutorial!
> >
> > Not to be too much of a critic on a good tutorial, but... it is quite
> static
> > though, for the flexibility of pd, don't you think?  Limiting all the
> > rhythms to 32nd notes.  Frank, I would love to see your approach to
> creating
> > a more 'dynamic' drum sequencer.  I have tried a couple times now and my
> > current one got too complicated quite fast.  Yet, I see it as the main
> > benefit for using pd for sequencing over other midi sequencers - there is
> no
> > limit for beat segmentations.
>
> The g_pattern32 object was designed with traditional
> pop/rock/dance/house/hihop/whatever music in mind. (Btw. the latest version
> added to the RjDj svn now includes a tiny bit of keyboard support: press
> "t"
> for toggling a step during the first second after selecting it.)
>
> But in the end it's just a little sugar coating for a Pd array hopefully
> making
> editing arrays graphically a bit less painful but still fast. The table
> itself
> can be used as source material for other tasks as well, e.g.  as a
> probability
> table etc.
>
> It would be possible to make a variation of the object where you can resize
> the
> array dynamically, use a number box to select steps to edit etc., but as
> you
> have seen yourself: It becomes complicated quite fast, which may be a sign
> that
> there is no good general approach to editing free form table data and that
> it
> may be better to do that in external software like a midi file editor or a
> spreadsheet. Or that editing it is wrong altogether and instead some
> algorithmic procedure should be used ...

Actually I have always been interested in sequencing in pd because midi
software (especially free midi software) is so limited; they are also only
capable of 'pop' rhythms.

Algorithmic rhythms still need need to be organised in some manner more
meaningful than code, in my opinion.  There is huge area in-between
algorithmic music and pop music.

Arg, I wish I had more time to show what I have been working on, I have
always meant to post it on this board at some point. It is another topic,
though.