[PD] help_random/seed

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jul 5 17:57:10 CEST 2009

Hallo,
Andrew Faraday hat gesagt: // Andrew Faraday wrote:

> Just an idea, but if the hardware random number generators use a jittery
> oscillator etc. Why not use [noise~] and [snapshot~] followed by some
> arithmetic and [int] you could build what I assume would be more random than
> the [random] box.

That's what is used for example in the "Can of Beats" scene for RjDj that still
is a huge success with the listeners:
http://rjdj.me/music/Chris%20McCormick/CanOfBeats/

Getting repeatable random numbers also has its use, though. For example in the
EA/Maxis game "Spore" random numbers with repeated seeds are the base for a lot
of the procedural music generated.

Ciao
--
Frank