[PD] playing a sample / mac

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 8 22:02:12 CEST 2009

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> Alexandre Bräutigam wrote:
>>> Hi there!
>>> I'm using a simple sfplay patch to play a wav's sample. The open
>>> message box is: [ open pedra1.wav l ] because the pd file and this
>>> sound file are in the same directory. Using this patch in a XP
>>> computer, it works. When I try to do the same in a macbook, we hear no
>>> sound and everytime I bang the open message box, it says: "error:
>>> sfplay: can't open pedra1.wav" What's wrong?
>> why would you use [sfplay] when there is [readsf~]?
>> the latter is an external which has not been updated in years, the
>> former is a often-used object in Pd-vanilla (and will thus work on
>> pretty much any Pd installation you will find over the world)
>
> Just for clarity: I think you've confounded "latter" and "former" here. sfplay~
> is old and cranky, readsf~ is shiny and pure vanilla. :)

Maybe someone could add 'deprecated' to the [sfplay] help file, and also
suggest [readsf~] instead. Or maybe a selector matrix for all the
different file loader/players so one could compare capabilities.
They all look shiny on my screen, but most of them are cranky too, in
that they never seem to know what I want to do with them ;)

Martin