[PD] key and keyup question

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Sun Jul 12 15:46:55 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I'm a little confused by the behaviour of the [key] and [keyup] objects.
What I'd expect is that they 'bang' and output the number only and only
when a key is pressed (key) or depressed (keyup), while it looks like
while a key is kept pressed they go on banging. Also a [keyup] seems to
bang even when a key is 'down'.
This also poses somewhat a problem with keyboard 'poliphony' say I keep
a key pressed while also pressing other[s].

Is my expectation simply wrong? I noticed that the behaviour is
different when pressing keys like SHIFT, CTRL etc.
Also I see from the help this is system dependent, I see this on Linux
(ubuntu 9,04 - Pd 0.41.4-extended-rc1)

Thanks,
Lorenzo