[PD] question about get/set/setsize

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 12 22:17:58 CEST 2009

Hi,
     I'm revising the helpfiles, and I noticed some weird behavior while
looking at pointer-help.pd:
1. Hook up a [get template1 y] to the first pointer example.
2. Traverse and click "next" to the end of the list.

3. Get happily outputs the y field for template2 without error.

Which makes me wonder- why must template names be given as arguments
to get/set/setsize/getsize? Template names in [pointer] already give you
traffic control.

It would be a lot handier if you could just specify a field, and leave it
up to the user to provide pointers to ds instances that have that field.
Bonus: you could have a bunch of different ds's in a window, and poll all
x and y coordinates with a single [get].

-Jonathan