[PD] MIDI Latency!!!

danomatika danomatika at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 16:51:13 CEST 2009

> Hi friend: in windows install asio4all in linux install a kernel with
> low
> latency.Assign in the audio device...
> Best Regards
>
> Chile
>
> Jose'

If you are using a newer Ubuntu, Intrepid or Jaunty, you don't need the
low latency kernel, you just need to enable realtime permissions for
audio programs like jack or pd.  I use the stock kernel on both my Core
2 2.5Ghz laptop and P3 500Mhz wearable and get 8-20 ms audio latency
with fast midi as well.

Note: I still get kind midi stutters using seq24 but that might be seq24
and not alsa midi since the hardware midi in and out works fine.

Here's the settings I use for realtime permissions (from an old Ubutnu
Studio wiki)

enable realtime:
	sudo su -c 'echo @audio - rtprio 99 >> /etc/security/limits.conf'
 	sudo su -c 'echo @audio - memlock 250000 >> /etc/security/limits.conf'
 	sudo su -c 'echo @audio - nice -10 >> /etc/security/limits.conf'

(Intrepid & Jaunty) add 'audio' group
	sudo addgroup audio
	sudo addgroup yourusername audio

restart

I have been meaning put all of my setup info online and will soon, but I
need to work my website first ... then I can link it back to the pd
wiki.

---
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com