[PD] Stereo simulation of multichannel audio [ot?]

Nicholas Mariette nicholas.mariette at limsi.fr
Mon Jul 20 15:45:17 CEST 2009

Hi Joao,

It sounds like you need a stereo auralization of various multichannel
diffusion pieces.

One option is to make a binaural down-mix of the multichannel
material, although that has the restriction of only sounding good on
headphones. This would still leave a decision on where to place sound
sources, and how to do the auralization (i.e. how to do the room
simulation, etc).

For stereo speaker playback, there is not really a canonical
solution.  Again though, you could do an auralization of the intended
diffusion to an intermediate format like ambisonics, then do a stereo
decode.  This will not leave as much of a spatial impression as a
binaural mix, but it will be more portable to different listening
setups.

Either way there are still various (essentially aesthetic/artistic)
decisions to make about the specification of the auralization.

So you might find that the best results for generalised playback
(headphone or speakers), is just to make aesthetic decisions and do a
multichannel downmix.

At any rate, if you want to explore ambisonic and/or binaural down-
mixes, the IEM tools for doing this are all in Pd extended.

For more info on the binaural stuff, you can try the patches and
publications here:
http://iem.at/Members/noisternig/bin_ambi

The patches are windows only, but they can be reconstituted from the
IEM objects available for other platforms inside Pd Extended (or SVN).

cheers
Nick

Nicholas Mariette

Researcher