[PD] making scales from frequency values

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Tue Jul 21 00:52:24 CEST 2009

Still not entirely sure I know what you're after, so at the risk of
repeating myself, use the (just intoned) intervals here:

1, 1:1-unison;
2, 135:128-major_chroma;
3, 9:8-major_second;
4, 6:5-minor_third;
5, 5:4-major_third;
6, 4:3-perfect_fourth;
7, 45:32-diatonic_fourth;
8, 3:2-perfect_fifth;
9, 8:5-minor_sixth;
10, 27:16-pyth_major_sixth;
11, 9:5-minor_seventh;
12, 15:8-major_seventh;
13, 2:1-octave;

I.e. major third = 6:5, and 6 divided by 5 is 1.2, so to transpose up a
major third, multiply original frequency by 1.2.

Or, 5 divided by 6 is 0.83333333, so multiply by that to transpose down
a major third. Or cook up something with [expr] that does the job more
precisely, like [expr f$1 * (5/6)] etc etc...

All of these should "sound good" across the whole musical spectrum so
long as you don't plan on changing key ;-)

D.

--
::: derek holzer ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista :::
http://www.vimeo.com/macumbista :::