[PD] making scales from frequency values

Andrew Turley aturley at acm.org
Tue Jul 21 01:55:13 CEST 2009

Just FYI, looking at BT2,BT3 and BT4 I see that the ratios of the
first partials is pretty close to a major second. Also, the ratio of
the first and second partials is just about 2.64 for each of the tones
you have given, which works out to something like 1 octave + a 4th
(between the major and diatonic).

The attached patch lets you set the first partial frequency (either
specifying the exact frequency or using the slider to select a MIDI
note), then sets the remaining partials as a ratio of the first
partial. I calculated the ratios using the ratios from BT2.  This
should give you an idea of how to maintain the spacing of the
partials. You can then use a chart like the one Derek included to
figure out which frequencies to use for the first partials, or you
could play around and find them by hand.

Does that help at all?

andy