[PD] making scales from frequency values

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Tue Jul 21 11:29:36 CEST 2009

Hi,

A couple of thoughts.

It might be useful to think in terms ratios instead of absolute
frequency values if you want to generalise your model so instead of 912,
2434, 4575 etc. 1, 2.66..., 5.01 and thus expressing all the frequencies
you found experimentally as ratios.

This can help when dealing with scales and 'musical' (esp. tonal)
intervals because our perception of pitch is not linear (so for example
the interval between 110 Hz and 220 Hz is perceived as an octave
'difference', and so is the one between 220 and 440, yet their
mathematical difference is respectively 110 and 220).

Just to complicate things :)... Also keep in mind that for 'realistic'
modelling of instruments you have to consider how partial presence and
quality changes with the changing of the fundamental pitch for many
various reasons some of which related to the intrinsic features of that
particular instrument (frequencies involved, meterials, shapes etc.)
A good intuitive example of this is the piano where you can clearly hear
that lower the pitches (played keys) sound 'richer', than higher ones.
(I think this article might be interesting in this regard:
http://www.applied-acoustics.com/techtalk-physicalmodeling.htm)

Kind regards,
Lorenzo.