[PD] [pd REFERENCE] format [was: Re: Pd META: Author/Help Patch Authors]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Sep 5 23:39:50 CEST 2009

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> --- On Sat, 9/5/09, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
>> I don't know, but if a template doesn't allow to say
>> something complex like «Pierre wrote the reference section,
>> Jean wrote the theoretical background section, Jacques
>> provided the examples» then that template should be just
>> shot dead.
> You have included commas in your example.  But I thought you were
> arguing that commas will cause problems down the line.

If you are making a tag system and are going to search by full tagnames,
than each tag has better be a single symbol and each request better not
contain commas. But there are things for which you'd search by text
content, and people are using commas all over english text, so naturally,
if the author field needs to be in plain english, it will need to be
searched like plain english is to be searched.

I'm supposing that a tag system is something in which a tag is atomic (you
don't search for substrings of tags when you search by tag) and in which
tags are considered more special than the rest of the text, because else
why bother calling it a tag system and why bother making it any different
from a plain text search. furthermore, i suppose that there is an aim of
semantic unambiguïty, that is, there is some kind of standard on tags such
that either "fm" or "frequency_modulation" is used but not both because
all synonymous words for 1 thing are represented by 1 tag.