[PD] implications of pd~ for 'poly' objects

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Sep 9 09:24:39 CEST 2009

Phil Stone wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for replying.  I don't quite understand what you mean by
> "manually manage".  As far as I know, without something like [pd~],
> there's no way to divide up and assign the Pd audio process to more than
> one core.  Half of the cores on a quad-core are therefore useless to Pd
> (accounting for the fact that the graphical process gets its own core).

the problem is, that poly-class objects are usually meant for _many_
objects (10+; i'm only repeating here what hans has already said).
[pd~] will fork a new thread for each of it's instances.
when doing multi-core processing (and this is really the only thing pd~
is good for; e.g .it's not good if you want to have different priorities
/ asynchronous processing), you usually don't want to create more
threads than you have cores.
why? performance reasons! if you create e.g. 1000 threads for 1000
instances of [doodle~] on a quad-core machine, your computer will spend
more time handling context-switches and the like (that is: the overhead
for managing the threads) than doing the actual job.
as a rule of thumb, the optimum number of threads is about the number of
cores you want to use.

since what is sold to customers as "multi-core" processors usually does
not involve more than 4 cores, the "best" (though probably not the most
comfortable) way to assign work to the cores from within Pd is doing it
"manually"

fmgasdr.#
IOhannes