[PD] Pd-GUI-Rewrite test builds

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Sep 10 21:21:46 CEST 2009

On Sep 10, 2009, at 1:00 AM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

>> "PD List" <pd-list at iem.at>

>> permissions
>> zipper.

>>> In windows, one thing I'm seeing
>>> is that when you try to close a patch, it just
>>> reappears in the top left corner of the screen.
>>>
>>> Here's what's printed to the console:
>>>
>>> Running pdtk_fixwindowmenu
>>> Running pdtk_fixwindowmenu
>>> ::pd_bindings::window_configure .pdwindow
>>> ::pd_bindings::window_focusin .pdwindow
>>> ::pd_bindings::window_configure .xd78338
>>> ::pd_bindings::window_configure .xd78338
>>> ::pd_bindings::window_configure .xd78338
>>> ::pd_bindings::window_configure .pdwindow
>>> ::pd_bindings::window_focusin .xd78338
>>>
>>> -Jonathan
>>

>> Ok, lots of work, including quite a bit on the Windows
>> front.  The
>> file is called the same thing for Windows, but its a new
>> file with a
>> bunch of changes:
>>
>> http://puredata.info/dev/PdGuiRewriteTestBuilds
>>
>> For all of the platforms, you can stay up to date by
>> following the
>> 'svn update' instructions in the above page.
>>
>> .hc
>>

> Cool!

Thanks for testing and reporting bugs!

> Do you have any examples of what can be done with the tcl window at
> the
> bottom of the console?

You can run anything Tcl.  try running "menu_message_dialog" or
"console show".  Look in pd/startup for examples of things to do with
Tcl.

> Here's a couple of things I see right off:
>
> * The check mark for "Edit Mode" is too faint until you mouse over it.

on the todo list

> * clicking the "Text Editor" gives the following error:
> invalid command name "menu_texteditor"
> invalid command name "menu_texteditor"
>    while executing
> "menu_texteditor $::focused_window"
>    (menu invoke)

not implemented and perhaps unneeded

> * "Preferences" give the following error:
> invalid command name "menu_preferences_dialog"
> invalid command name "menu_preferences_dialog"
>    while executing
> "menu_preferences_dialog"
>    (menu invoke)

not implemented yet

> * File->Message (ctrl-m) doesn't work

Fixed, 'svn up' and try again.

> * If you try to close a window, it gets moved to the top left of the
> screen.  (But it does close after going through the "Discard Changes"
> dialog)

strange... noted

> * The gui level meter for "IN" displays three bars when you turn on
> the
> level meter and DSP.

That's the noise level of your sound input.  Those meters need to be
calibrated.  They are currently pretty rough.

> * The recent files in the "file" menu don't persist after you close
> Pd.

Yeah, its not stored yet, first we need to figure out a framework for
storing things like that.

> * "Audio settings..." and "MIDI settings..." don't work

Fixed, 'svn up' and try again.

> * If you make a subpatch and choose "Parent window" from the "Window"
> menu, the parent window is moved to the top left corner

noted.

> * Help->About gives the following error:
> can't read "pd_myversion": no such variable
> can't read "pd_myversion": no such variable
>    while executing
> "regsub -all PD_VERSION $bigstring2 $pd_myversion bigstring3"
>    (procedure "::pd_menucommands::menu_opentext" line 15)
>    invoked from within
> "::pd_menucommands::menu_opentext "$dirname/$basename""

not implemented yet, on the todo list

> * Find only works the first time.

noted

> * Help->Browser window is too narrow, and the text is too small

Fixed, 'svn up' and try again.

> * (probably old, but I just noticed) When you choose an item from
> the "Put" menu, it initially doesn't line up with the mouse pointer
> (click
> on VU meter but don't move the mouse at all, and you'll see it).

Yeah, that's an old one, it uses the last known mouse position.
That's handle in 'pd', so the C code.

publicity.          - Bill Moyers