[PD] xsample freezes PD

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 16:51:02 CEST 2009

hi
when i run some of my patches the pd process goes to 99% CPU and the pd
GUI freezes, i cannot close
the terminal or any patch. I have to kill the process from task manager.

After some tests and found out that it seems to come from xgroove~
object. This is how it happens: I run pd, open the xgroove~ object help
file, setup pd input and output devices via ALSA. I activate DSP and
push the bang to start play the xgroove~ example.

The audio runs until the playhead goes next to around 80% of the table
then it
freezes, i can see that the PD CPU usage grows quickly just after the audio
and GUI freeze.

any ideas? this is the terminal output. not very interesting i guess.

~$ pd
<init> : Avifile RELEASE-0.7.47-070929-17:56-4.2.1
<init> : Available CPU flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr
pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe up bts est tm2
<init> : 1600.00 MHz Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz detected
pd_gui: pd process exited
Killed

xsample external seems to be loaded properly, pd console says this on
startup

-------------------------------
xsample objects, version 0.3.2pre

   xrecord~, xplay~, xgroove~
   (C)2001-2008 Thomas Grill

there is no message post into the console when the error happens.

This happened both in PureDyne with the pd installed from their packages
and also in Ubuntu Studio with the pd extended package. Both systems
running latest xsample binary from
http://puredata.info/Members/thomas/xsample

I guess it is either a bug in latest version of xsample or I am missing
something in both systems.

thanks

enrike