[PD] problem with pd-extended 0.41.4

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Sep 13 23:43:15 CEST 2009

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> Second that. I would love to hear more about the hexloader. Is this a part
> of the regular distribution or only pd-extended? Also, why is zexy not built
> as a lib rather than being a collection of files? Does it have lower memory
> footprint this way?

it's higher in several ways. Each additional dlopen() takes one filehandle
and each filehandle probably takes a lot more RAM than the machine code of
the average zexy class. Given dlopen() uses mmap() which loads the
*.pd_linux file content on-demand (in 4k blocks), one big *.pd_linux file
is more memory-efficient than one-class-per-file, even when using a low
number of different classes. On top of that, if your external takes 1k,
it's padded to 4k, and if it takes 4.001k, it's padded to 8k, etc.

however, if you loaded all of pd-extended as big libs, it would have a
greater virtual-memory-size than one-class-per-file, but that doesn't have
any advantage in practice.