[PD] new GUI screenshots

Luke Iannini lukexipd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 06:15:35 CEST 2009

2009/9/13 András Murányi <muranyia at gmail.com>:

> 2009/9/13 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
>>
>> It looks so nice on the Mac...! ;o)
>>
>> It's a pity it looks way less 21th Century here on Hardy... fyi I have
>> attached the screenshot.
>>
>> Make you are are running Tcl/Tk 8.5 and it'll look much better.  Install
>> tcl8.5 and tk8.5, then run:
>> "update-alternatives --config wish" and choose wish8.5.  Then Pd will use
>> the much improved Wish 8.5.
>
> Thanks! Now fonts are anti-aliased. Plus the startup plugins started to
> work, which means that at least some of them don't work with tcl/tk<=8.4.
> I have attached a screenshot for your viewing pleasure.
>

>> I have also mocked up a version with my ideas (which are based on my
>> rather limited knowledge of Pd). Please take a look at it.
>>
>> Did you mock it up in Tcl?
>
> Nay. Xara Xtreme ;o)
>
> - Afaik the IN/OUT meters are for the DSP so I would group them with the DSP
> switch.
>>
>> Makes sense.
>>
>> - I would omit the IN/OUT meter switch. Can we? Or is this a CPU-hog?
>>
>> I think its useful just to be able to have less distractions.
>
> Useful to have it? So that the meter doesn't distract you?
> Or useful to omit? So the switch doesn't distract you?
> ;o)
>

>> - I would suggest having some kind of MIDI IN/OUT LEDs... which could also
>> serve as switches in case you want to suspend MIDI reception or
>> transmission. In my graphics they are just simple switches but I'm not sure
>> it is possible to 'blink' those switches. If not, then we could have
>> separate switches and LEDs.
>>
>> That also sounds useful for those who use MIDI.  'pd' is not currently
>> sending 'pd-gui' that info tho.
>
> I'm one of the guys who don't use DSP, my output is nuttin-but-MIDI. (Now
> that I think there may be guys whos output is mainly to the network...)
>

>> - A LOAD meter. Is this a CPU hog? If not, can we have it on the Pd
>> window? (It is quite hidden under the Media menu, imho also because Media is
>> a quite fuzzy name.)
>>
>> That's a nice idea.  It would require writing the Tcl code to get the load
>> from the OS, but that's probably easy.
>
> Once we clean up the Media menu, we may be able to find a better name for
> it. Just my 2 cents.
>>
>> - Console hide, clear. Let's try to have it somewhere right above the
>> console!
>>
>> A clear button is ok, it is on the File menu.  As for hide, I think its
>> easier to just have window resizing work well.  With the pdwindow in
>> pd-gui-rewrite, you can manually resize it down to just the metters/buttons.

Yo, just a quick suggestion to make Pd a better Mac citizen – closing
the console should just hide it (and you'd then be able to pull it up
again from the Window menu).  That plus a "Show Console on Startup"
preference would make Pd much more
"patch-redistribution-to-those-without-Pd-knowledge" friendly.

Sorry I can't offer code, hopefully I'll have time to return to the
fold very soon!
Luke