[PD] Pd on Maemo driven devices?

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Sep 17 11:54:02 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:02:41PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> What I'd like to see is Pd on Android, but I think that could be a
> little bit tricky to get into a form that is easily distributable
> without rooting the phone.  The G1 already runs Debian, so you could
> just install the 'puredata' package once you have Debian on your G1.

I successfully compiled Pd with the Android NDK a few weeks ago, and my
colleague wrote an audio driver which calls back into Java space via the JNI
and produces sound, but there is a bug somewhere with [vd~], [tabread~] and
friends so it's not 100% yet. If this was working it would make it possible to
build and distribute Pd for non-rooted Androids.

Unfortunately my hands are tied with regards to releasing the code, but I am
pushing hard to make it happen anyway. This what I get for whoring my mind to
proprietary companies. :(

If anyone else wants a shot, I can tell you it's actually really simple to make
Pd compile with the NDK, you just need to make your own Android.mak file with a
list of object files to be built and the right flags set. You can get this list
of object files from the Linux generated Makefile. I had to also tweak the
source a bit to set a new flag called __ANDROID__ in some places and not in
others. If you follow the model of __LINUX__ it's pretty close. Oh no, I've
said too much.. the suits are here.. I can hear them knocking.. going to get my
shotgun.. I may be some time-

Chris.