[PD] [pd REFERENCE] format [was: Re: Pd META: Author/Help Patch Authors]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Sep 19 21:02:47 CEST 2009

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, Martin Peach wrote:

> As I see it a tag like "fm" would be associated with synonyms like
> "frequency modulation", "frequency_modulation", "Frequency Modulation"
> "modulation de frequence", "DX7 synthesis" that could be added to it at
> any later date, so a search for any of the synonyms would ultimately
> return whatever was connected to the tag.

Yeah, either considering a tag to have several names (hardlinks), or a tag
to have a real name and several aliases (symlinks), or something like
that. This is good when there is no central authority that gathers all
tags together before they begin to be used, or when even the central
authority is not sufficient anymore because people can't figure out
synonyms at the right time (too many tags, insufficient search engine,
etc).