[PD] [pd REFERENCE] format [was: Re: Pd META: Author/Help Patch Authors]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Sep 19 21:43:22 CEST 2009

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> I've been assuming that one of the aims of tags (i.e., keywords) is that
> there would be a search window in the browser so you can search for
> relevant help patches/tutorial patches/ etc.  Or maybe an actual patch,
> since Hans has said that the keywords should be "parsable in pd." There
> are already some categories from which simple, standard keywords may be
> used, but for some terms like "frequency modulation" there's the
> aforementioned problem of the space between the words.  Given that,
> frequency_modulation is certainly one solution, and users can get used
> to using underscores when searching, but why not also include "fm" and
> "modulation" in case the user happens to type that (which would be
> completely reasonable)?

Typically, with tags, the user has access to the list of all currently
existing tags, so that the user can choose from there. You could have a
feature to search by regexp and/or thesaurus on the list of tags, but when
you look for a tag in patches, the goal is sort of to have one concept per
tag and one tag per concept, no synonyms, no homonyms.

> > What's a tag?
> A keyword.

That's pretty terse. What are the expectations about tags? what about
synonyms and homonyms? what do the tags mean, that the whole text of the
patch doesn't?

Because, what's the advantage of searching in tags vs searching in the
whole text?

> I saw your nick in the irc discussion of the PDDP, didn't you actually
> take part in some of these decisions?

What??... what does "take part" mean to you? I don't understand.

I don't recall my opinions being represented in PDDP, but then, I don't
recall trying to push them.