[PD] pd.lib

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 27 21:58:51 CEST 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Martin Peach wrote:
>
>> brandt at subnet.at wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> can anybody help me to find pd.lib?
>>
>> It's in the pd/bin folder of Miller's Windows versions.
>>
>> It would be nice if it (or at least a list of exported symbols) was
>> included in the autobuilds for Windows but it isn't, I guess because
>> MinGW and Cygwin don't require it for linking.
>

> Feel free to make this change directly in the Pd-extended branch.  I
> think it would just be a matter of editing makefile.mingw to make it
> generate the files you want, then adding those files to the
> packages/win32_inno/pd-inno.iss.in so that they are included in the
> installer.

OK I just added code to create a pddll.def file. This can then be used
to make a pd.lib in MSVC, so externals for pd-extended may be built
using MSVC. (as long as they don't pass file handles across the dll
boundary -- an issue involving different c runtimes having different
FILE structs)
(Other possibilities: Perhaps libpd.a can be used directly just by
renaming it pd.lib (but it is currently not installed into pd/bin), or
nm can be used to extract the symbols from pd.dll (but this must be done
before it is stripped.))

packages/win32_inno/pd-inno.iss.in already copies everything in pd/bin
to pd/bin so no change seems needed there.

I notice there is already a pdtcl.def file being created using
pdtcl.dll, but it doesn't seem to be used or installed.

I'll check tomorrow's build to see if it worked.

Martin