[PD] latency issue

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Oct 18 13:20:04 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-18 at 10:22 +0000, babsyco babsyco wrote:
> Thanks guys, but the latency is still around 20ms when I don't use the
> soundcard (I just tried it with the built in mic-that's the same as
> jack for all intensive purposes, right?). Any other suggestions as to
> how I can get it lower? I really wanna use it for live performance.

well, we still don't know about your OS. are you really on OS X? is this
problem directly related to pd or do you have the same latency with
other software as well? if it's a general issue, i  would ask in other -
probably more dedicated - channels as well.
it's an annoying proposal to make, but if your only goal really is only
getting the audio latency low, i'd suggest considering another OS as
well. it's a very general advice, i know, but probably you can be a bit
more specific about what your're trying to do. there are many reasons
not to change the OS frivolously, but if that is the main goal, i'd
probably change to one that gives you enough control to change settings
as you need them.

if there are, try different drivers (or use jack, as others already
suggested, assuming your not on windows). then try to give the pd audio
process higher priority.

roman