[PD] life as a new media artist

Alexandre Castonguay acastonguay at artengine.ca
Wed Nov 4 16:29:13 CET 2009

The question reminds me of : Letters to a Young Artist, a collection of
essays modeled after Goethe's letter (another good read).  It has some
insights from people like Adrian Piper,  William Pole L. and the
Guerilla Girls.  The variables are alike between the artistic discipline
(time, revenues, integrity) but there are a couple of important
variations for media art. Nearly 80% of all art purchases are paintings
so making a living may mean teaching or finding other employement within
the field.  Another important distinction is gender. The media arts
field, especially the more technical aspects of it, is dominated by
males.  It can lead to a culture shock sometimes but I don't know
whether gender has a positive or negative effect on gaining most of your
revenues in the field.  Where you find your training is also a
determinant and the answer to the question of survival as a media artist
will depend on where you want to be based. Support for culture, public
or private, varies so much from one state to another.  Be mindful of the
tools, PD is one of the tools that will shape your practice the least. I
like Natalie Jeremijenko's take on technology (not her exact words) :
"artist's are good at making dumb things out of expensive technology and
making smart things out of obsolete tech".

My advice would be to just work. Don't spend too much time networking
and worrying about a career, if the work is not there, nothing will
happen. Devote all your energies to it and if the sleep deprivation (and
bills) catch up to you and the motivation isn't there any longer, then
you can take all that you will have learned and find another path.  It
should be easier than surviving as a media artist. I don't want to sound
dire, I feel priviledged to be able to keep making art and it's amazing
to be able to teach it.  What I mean to say is that if you need to be an
artist then you will find a way to support your practice.

http://www.artonpaper.com/LTYA/

Good luck,

Alexandre