[PD] pd-extended build on 9.10 /gem 0.92.1 eeepc = no luck with v4l2

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Nov 5 14:42:25 CET 2009

Quoting "Mathieu Bouchard" <matju at artengine.ca>:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>
>>> recordQT4L.cpp: In function ?lqt_file_type_t guess_qtformat(const char*)?:
>>> recordQT4L.cpp:96: error: invalid conversion from ?const char*? to ?char*?
>>
>> yah, this is dues to an overly pedantic compiler (or probably:
>> invalid headers: the line the error is referring to is (here; but i
>> might have a different version :-)) using the (const char*)
>> argument to guess_qtformat() as input for strchr(). according to my
>> man-pages, strchr() indeed takes (const char*) rather than (char*).
>> if this is indeed the problem, just add a cast to (const char*) to
>> the call of strchr(), and file a bug-report to ubuntu that they are
>> shipping broken headers)
>
> hi, the problem is not the type of «filename», it's the type of
> «extension», because the error message is about casting const to
> non-const, and not the other way around.

hmm, to summarize:

this is the code:
static lqt_file_type_t guess_qtformat(const char* filename) {
   char * extension = strrchr(filename, '.');
}

which means: that we expect strrchr() to take "const char*" and "int",
and to return "char*"

"man strrchr" says:
  char *strrchr(const char *s, int c);

i don't see any problems here. what is it, that i am missing?

apart from that: even if all or no compilers are that pedantic, i
don't experience the said problem when building myself (e.g. on debian
using g++-4.3.4-5)
it is not that i never compile Gem using gcc...

fgmasdr
IOhannes