[PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Fri Nov 13 19:15:44 CET 2009

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> While definitely understanding your irritation, the only point of your
> writing i was able to find is that it would make it 'easier'.

No, it's that the idea of "$0 = special case" is only used when talking
about message boxes; $0 is also a special case in object boxes, yet it
is accepted there.  Thus, I find this argument inconsistent.

I am quite willing to bear the continued burden of coaxing $0 into
messages for dynamic patching (I simply have no choice).  I would just
like to see the reasoning against $0 in message boxes be less specious,
and therefore less confusing to the overall issue.

> I definitely cannot support the idea of making one special case (that
> arises a lot, i admit) easier, while disregarding completely the
> concepts and consistency.

As I said, it's the very *inconsistency* of this argument that bothers me.

Phil
http://www.pkstonemusic.com/pubmusic.html