[PD] Max4Live... How about Pd4Live?

Justin Glenn Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 04:41:26 CET 2009

Jeffrey Concepcion wrote:

> To justin:
> Can ardour be customized as a performance tool (which is abletons key
> feature IMO)

No need for customization to use it that way, actually. It does not have
the range of features that ableton live has, but I have used it successfuly
as a source of realtime tweaked automations  / a virtual mixing board / loop
recorder and player.

One thing it has that in my knowledge actually exceeds what ableton offers
is the versatility of the way buses / tracks can be inter-routed. Any number
of tracks and buses can be mixed into the input of any others (each track and
bus of course having configurable pre / post effects), without the artificial
limits that I have seen with ableton live.

I made a set of ladspa plugins a while back to allow controling puredata
parameters from ardour automations, it has some definite limitations usability
wise but it is available from http://code.google.com/p/noisesmith-linux-audio/
or direct download my last (but not very recent) version from
http://noisesmith-linux-audio.googlecode.com/files/ladosc.tar.bz2

It uses osc to send the parameter data so the ardour and pd processes can be
running on two different machines.