[PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Dec 6 12:04:20 CET 2009

Hallo,
Jonathan Wilkes hat gesagt: // Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> --- On Sat, 12/5/09, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> > Hey, all I said is that *I* am not the right person to do
> > that.
>
> If that's all you had said, I doubt anyone would have replied with
> anything other than "ok."
>
> And now I'm curious: why can't you create all the objects in that
> patch?  If some of those objects don't create in pd-ext on win/macos/
> linux, at the very least the patch should be changed so that they are
> removed (or replaced with ascii art).
>
> But if it's that you just prefer using pd-vanilla and don't want to
> download/install pd-ext, why not just say that?

Some history:

I was involved in early PDDP discussions (around 2005) as well, so PDDP isn't
new to me. I dropped out of PDDP for various reasons after a while. Besides the
endless discussion about template layout etc. another reason for my retreat
was, that the help system started to require certain externals (pddp_link). I
believe, a general purpose help file template should not require objects not
available in all major Pd distributions. Help files should be accessible to
everyone. I wasn't alone with this view, see:
http://puredata.info/dev/pddp/2005-11-22-pddp_meeting.txt for example.  Some
other PDDP contributors didn't have a problem with that. I can accept that, but
obviously I had to stop contributing at that point. Some other early
participants also dropped out, some for similar reasons IIRC.

While I'm surely guilty of some anti-Pd-extended puritanism, my retreat from
PDDP didn't have anything to do with it. It has a different story.

(I'm sorry for saying "pd-extended docs" in my previous mail, it should have
been "PDDP docs".)

Ciao
--
Frank