[PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Dec 6 20:54:40 CET 2009

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> To me, it is not even clear, when data types are converted, in cases when
> conversion happens at all. Does it happen at the 'inlet', or the 'outlet'?
> at both?

It is always at the inlet. You will not figure this out by using [print]
or [route], which are both designed to hide the inconsistency under the
carpet. They both contain the combination of if-statements required to
mask the problem. Basically each of those classes contains a replica of
much of pd_defaultlist, only in a way that doesn't look like copy+paste.

>> [prepend] in Cyclone is different from [list prepend], and
>> that's by design, not a bug (as symbol-selector handling in [route] might be).
> We don't know if it is a bug, but it doesn't seem logical in a common sense
> of the word 'logical'.

«logical» thus means «something that follows from a set of rules (instead
of just being a rule of its own)» instead of the other possible
definitions of «something that follows the rules instead of not following
them» and «something that was found using the rules instead of being found
by other means»... (I didn't look at dictionary for this, I thought about
what are the uses of the word that I do encounter in practice.)

But because the whole set of rules hasn't been defined or agreed upon, we
don't know whether anything is logical or not, because logic always starts
from a set of basic rules (which can't be deduced from any other rules...
at least not literally).

Actually, we can know, as this is written in Pd's source code (and Dd's
source code). It's just that the source has to be read... (well, if
someone can find Martin Peach's internals doc, I can't find it atm, so I
can't tell whether it documents this or not).