[PD] latency solutions... and then some

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Sun Jan 31 22:00:46 CET 2010

> His set uses an electric bass through Pd. My guess is
> that even the un-processed signal goes through Pd to avoid echos or comb
> filtering due to latency.

In my (2 cent) experience to let the un-processed signal go _through Pd_ is
still unsatisfying, because anyway you have to deal with some latency hiding
around.
Instead I usually let my external soundcard output a small amount of "direct
monitor". This way my clean signal goes through the hardware to the PA with
no latency (or at least a fairly un-noticeable latency), then the processed
signal/s get overlapped with the minimum latency I can get.
This is the cheapest and more satisfying workaround I found so far, even
though it's not reliable in every condition and setup.

Besides, as already said, when you trigger digital effects with an external
hardware you can add more latency; to avoid it, I analyze the un-processed
input signal, recognize the notes being played and trigger effects when a
note is recognized.
Thus I just deal with the latency created while the un-processed input reach
the analysis patch.
At the same time I route the un-processed signal to the effects bank.
Not rocket science but hope this helps.