[PD] shouldn't message boxes work as gui elements?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 23:56:38 CET 2010

--- On Mon, 2/8/10, Matteo Sisti Sette <matteosistisette at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Matteo Sisti Sette <matteosistisette at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD] shouldn't message boxes work as gui elements?
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "PD list" <pd-list at iem.at>
> Date: Monday, February 8, 2010, 8:53 PM
> Jonathan Wilkes escribió:
>
> > As for nonlocal send and receive on the current msg
> box: you've already got a nonlocal send by starting the
> message box with a semicolon.
>
> That's a different thing. It's not just a matter of being
> able or not being able to send a message to wherever, it is
> a matter of how the box behaves.
> As a user, would you be happy if you were filling a form
> and there was an input field with a label that says:
> "Please enter your name and surname, preceded by a
> semicolon, a newline, the word 'name' in all lower case
> without quotes, and a white space"?

The syntax you're talking about it extremely useful.  Even though you can
do the same thing with [send] by setting the send-name with the right
inlet, that gets extremely cumbersome when, say, initializing a bunch of
values and using dollar signs.  The following is much easier:
[;
$1-pitch 60;
$1-metro 96;
$1-oscbank 32;
$1-salad-bar optional
(

I find the semicolon atom to be a real time (and space) saver here.

> :)

Oops, I almost chopped off your smiley by accident. :)

-Jonathan