[PD] Alias an internal with an abstraction

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Feb 12 10:21:25 CET 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 09:40 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 18:39 -0800, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > Thanks, but that doesn't help so much with with the max to pd conversion. If I made it an external, I would be able to use it to
> > replace the internal, right?
>
> I _think_ that this is not possible with Pd <= current versions.

To correct myself: Since 0.42 or so there is way for externals to
override internals.
Personally I find it was wrong to implement this 'feature' without
providing a mechanism for a patch to protect it from using externals
that override internals. This really can make debugging hard and writing
portable patches impossible.

IIRC, there is even a documented case on the list, where someone posted
a patch, that was working only on some computers because a slight
difference between Pd's [wrap] and zexy's [wrap] and only on *some*
machines zexy was installed and did override Pd's internal [wrap].

Roman