[PD] External to get boxes' informations

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Apr 21 09:01:45 CEST 2010

On 2010-04-20 18:24, Vilson Vieira wrote:
> 2010/4/20 IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
>
>> On 2010-04-19 19:09, Vilson Vieira wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> is there any object (or any way to create an external object) to get
>>> informations about other objects on the patch at the moment (for example,
>>> the number of inlets/outlets of one object, it's state (number, symbol,
>> ...)
>>> and other things)?
>>>

>> yes.
>> it's in iemguts.
>>

> Thanks IOhannes, I've used iemguts, it's so interesting! But being an
> external, can I get information about things like: how many objects are on
> my current patch? how inlets/outlets they have? I think you've implemented

all this can be done with iemguts ([canvasindex] and [canvasconnections])

> iemguts to that porpouse: there isn't a way to do that using just the m_pd.h
> interfaces. Am I right?

most likely not.
that's why iemguts have this innardish name, as they are (often) messing
around with internals of Pd (that is: everything not exposed by m_pd.h)

> I'm trying to get information about the objects on a patch to make it easy
> to reflect the state of PD to other languages like Python [1]. Yes, I've
> seen your presentation about reflection on PD and it's awesome!

well, what iemguts can do, you can do in any other language (if you are
willing to use the private interfaces in s_stuff.h, m_imp.h, g_canvas.h,...)

> Is there a roadmap to make the facilities of iemguts a default feature at PD
> soon? I would like to contribute on it.

i haven't planned that.
for me, iemguts is something highly experimental (e.g. not something
most people would use in their everyday life; but of course it's up to
the people to chose what they use in their everyday life).
more important, what i want to do can be mainly done as an external
(even though using private interfaces), and so there is no real need to
internalize these objects (it's not something like a loader-mechanism,
which is virtually impossible to implement without touching Pd-core)

anyhow, i'm happy to include contributions in iemguts (if they meet my
random criteria :-))

fgmasdr
IOhannes