[PD] Ever divorce from Tcl/Tk? (Was Re: puredata_gui_design)

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Sun May 2 20:47:32 CEST 2010

2010/5/2 Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>

> On Sun, 2 May 2010, András Murányi wrote:
>
>  As it has been mentioned, "anyone" can start porting Pd to another
>> toolkit.
>>

> Why would you care, that an unspecified person said "anyone" "can" do
> "whatever" on pd-list ? It isn't a sign of anything. Why don't you instead
> think about why the project really matters, and about what is needed to
> succeed at the task ?

I was implicitly ironic, based on our shared knowledge of more floating
ideas than actual projects.
I do think about why the project really matters. ;o) I think Pd shall get a
proper language-independent API.

If you want to know why I don't start this project up myself, no it's not
shyness or learned helplessness but the mere fact that i'm doing two jobs to
survive and have no joules left for this. My bad.

 The question for me here is, if Miller, Hans, and other core people are
> interested in leaving Tcl/Tk behind, and if yes, how soon?

If anyone cared, there would be a prototype already.

Well, i just imagine it is not easy to have one's 'child' undergo such a
severe operation, so one might not make up a decision or even publicly
address the question so easily.

Andras