[PD] Ever divorce from Tcl/Tk? (Was Re: puredata_gui_design)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri May 7 04:57:15 CEST 2010

On Thu, 6 May 2010, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Some parts are extremely slow, like array redrawing and moving of items
> on the canvas.  These particular things can sometimes generate 1
> megabyte a second of Tcl code.  The same could be achieved by sending
> the right 1 kilobyte per second, or even less.

if bunches of floats could be sent in binary, it would save a lot of
"bandwidth", too, but not as much as if they were trimmed to the strict
minimum... we don't need 32 bits of precision to display on screen : 12 is
enough.

the actual problem is not so much the "bandwidth", but all the parsing and
unparsing. the [binary] command of Tcl can make things faster.