No subject

Mon Jun 7 12:09:39 CEST 2010

with a pure delay of a whole number of samples, you can get the impulse
response by sampling a sinc function with the correct delay and sample rate.

It happens that sampling a sinc with a whole number of samples delay, you
get an IR with one sample of amplitude 1 at the sinc's centre peak, and the
rest of the sample points fall on zeros of the sinc function, so the IR has
an amplitude of 0 at all other points.  Thus you get the single unit impulse
function for the impulse response.

I recall that it is likewise possible to synthesise a fractional delay
filter by sampling a sinc function with the correct delay- which if
fractional, gives you an infinite impulse response of mostly non-zero
values, which of course is impossible to use as a real filter.  Then you can
go about creating variously optimised bandlimited methods of approximating
this response for example by using different windows to sample the sinc.

There are also other methods such as using polynomial interpolation or
splines.

There are some notes on the mathematics of this here and on other pages
linked from here:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/Interpolation/sinc_function.html

Nick