[PD] software license for pd general patch?

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 29 02:20:11 CEST 2010

Hello all,

I'm doing last touches in a Pd patch that is a general tool to make click
tracks. That can (and hopefully will) be used by any musicians, such as
instrumentalists, conductors, composers, ...

The patch is/will be available free of charge, only paypal donations are
accepted (or suggested). But I'm considering using a different license
than the general BSD license I usually ship my abstractions with. Since
it's a rather complex patch (and if I get any grants to continue to work
on it, it might get even more complex), I would prefer for people not to
edit it too much - although most of the people using it won't be able even
to open the gop.
Another aspect is to prevent anyone to grab the code and do a commercial
version of it. Not that it will happen anytime soon, but it might be a
possibility.

I was thinking of instead the BSD to use a CC license, the "Attribution No
Derivatives" one - http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/. Basically
something that allows people to disseminate the program (even though is
available online), but without them changing it (or not without my
consent/knowledge).

Does anyone of you has any experience with this, or can suggest a more
efficient way of thinking about this?

Best,

João Pais

--