[PD] What's up with the mailing list archives and/or Google????

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jun 30 10:17:04 CEST 2010

On 2010-06-30 00:15, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> I noticed the problem as well. I guess what happens is that the message
> numbering has changed for some reason. Probably the last time google was
> crawling
> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2009-06/070918.html it
> actually still contained the post about Blank Pages.
>
> Don't know how mailman works internally, but probably the message-IDs
> are not persistent (when you move archives around or delete some
> messages? I don't know).

due to the recent outage of the mailing list archives, i had to rebuilt
the list archives which eventually renumbered the pages.
i'm aware of the problem, but don't have any solution ready at hand.
(what's worse, if the same thing happens again, i don't know of any
simple solution to rebuild the archives without renumbering again)

i don't even know exactly why the archiver renumbers differently every
time i rebuild. i guess it has to do with wrong sender times in the
mail-headers.

anyhow, the google search index will of course re-adapt itself within
reasonable time.
the namazu index will have to be rebuild manually.

sorry for the inconvenience.

fgmasdr
IOhannes