[PD] [OT] Jaunty people

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 13:09:39 CEST 2010

Hello everybody on Ubuntu Jaunty,

i see you are still many... and having more and more problems (lack of fresh
Jaunty Pd build etc.) Well i'd just like to encourage you to upgrade to
Lucid. I've done it recently on 64-bit (which is, bug-wise, usually lagging
behind the 32-bit version), and it's fine.
Just be aware that you might get a better result with installing Lucid from
a CD rather than upgrading through Karmic. I had the following problems:
- Compiz and window decorator don't start up automatically. It's a bug which
never occurs with a fresh Lucid install.
- Nvidia driver upgrade may fail and needs all nvidia stuff to purged first,
and maybe some more hacking. Never occurs with a fresh install.
- Some programs and libs are removed during the upgrade, they have to be
reinstalled.
(If you plan to make a fresh install and then copy your original home dir
(with tons of your old settings) over the fresh one, don't copy session and
compiz related dirs, or you might mess up your compiz.)
I'll be glad to help you guys with your upgrade.

Andras