[PD] CPU saving strategies

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Aug 2 13:02:00 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 12:35:41PM +0200, David Schaffer wrote:
>    I recently built a midi CC sequencer abs. It helps me add some
>    timeline-based control to my patches. But I came across a problem I never
>    had to deal with before: CPU consumption. I realized I could'nt use more
>    than four instances of my sequencer before the patch would become
>    unmanageable (interface freezes, audio drops, and, finally... a crash) I
>    think this is related to the use of large size arrays. I would be grateful
>    if someone out there could point me to a better data storing/ CPU saving
>    strategy for my sequencer, maybe data structures? Thanks in advance.

You're using way too many debugging GUIs, like [bng] or number boxes. Remove
all of them that you don't see and optionally speedlimit the updates of those,
that you want to see. [m_speedlimit] from rj (http://github.com/rjdj/rjlib) can
be used for speedlimiting.

In general, never patch debuigging stuff like this:

 [...]
 [0\ <- a numberbox

 [...]

or this:

 [...]
 [bng] <- a GUI bang

 [...]

Instead always put the debugging GUIs into their own path like here:

 [...]
 |\
 | [0\ <- a numberbox

 [...]

This way it's easier to remove them later, when you're finished debugging your
patch. Make that a habit.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__